The Ranch House History was built in 1948 by William Lewis Moody Jr. at a cost of $235,000. The house is compiled of Shell Limestone and shares the same builder and architect as the University of Texas at Austin. The LB Johnson Library is also made from the same stone (and from the same quarry) as The Ranch House History. The quarry was closed upon completion of the LB Johnson Library.
The porch was originally 125’ long. There was central heat only when the home was built. There was only one bathroom in the Master Suite. The wood floors, chandeliers in the Master Suite and living room are original to the house as are the heavy outside doors. The water system for the house came from the well behind the garage that was pumped up the hill to the two big reservoirs and then down to an aerator that sat just above the garage on the side of the hill.
What we now call ‘The Retreat’ was a studio where new and established Texan artists could work and/or show their pieces. There were many parties held in the main living room and porch where politicians from both parties mingled on a weekly basis. What is now the Apache Suite was originally a music room with a grand piano in the bay window. In fact rumor has it that future president LB Johnson enjoyed quite a few snifters of brandy and card games in what is now known as ‘The Den’.
When W.L. Moody Jr passed away in 1954, his daughter, Mary Moody Northern became his designated successor. Mrs. Northern was featured on the cover of Newsweek Magazine and at least one article in the national media referred to her “The First Lady of Finance.” She also chaired the Moody Foundation, which has become one of the largest philanthropic foundations in Texas whose mission is “To benefit in perpetuity present and future generations of Texans.” She was also avid collector of arrowheads and had a large display found on the property where an Indian mound was located where the Mercantile now stands.
The Yorks bought the house in 1958 for a low price because it had been left unattended by short-term owners. Mrs. York planted all the mature pecan trees in what she called ‘the flats.’ The Yucaa’s along the road are from their ranch in Big Bend. Mr. York added the island to the kitchen. The basement flooded for the first time in 1978 after 48 inches of rain fell over three days.
The Comegys bought and lived in the house from 1987-2004. They added Central Air, enclosed a portion of the front porch for the large Master Bathroom and walk in closet, reconfigured the kitchen and installed two doors into the dining room. The Comegy’s also remodeled the apartment downstairs.
The McJunkins group bought the ranch in 2004 after discussing the beauty of the area and the possibility of creating a Resort while sitting around a campfire. Jack McClelland bought the property in 2009 and continued to improve the property and the Resort. In April of 2013, RVC Outdoor Destinations bought the property, changed the name to Medina Highpoint and have continued the expansions and improvements necessary to create a place of beauty, peace and fun for people of all ages.